The cornerstone of our business is ensuring that we place respect for the environment at the very heart of everything we do and drive down the environmental impacts our operations may have.
With this in mind, FYM is currently implementing multiple initiatives to promote and protect the local environment. The major drive behind those initiatives in to sustain and improve existing conditions as well as secure healthy environment for future generations. Some of the key initiatives are:
- Development and Implementation of an Environmental Management System in accordance with ISO 14001 with the goal to obtain compliance certification in near term.
- Engaging the top ten company in environmental industry, namely EcoLine Environmental Assessment Center, for Yeristovo Mine Social and Environmental Assessment and Actions Plan development, that was accepted by US Exim Bank as a condition precedent and basis for FYM mining equipment funding approval
- Consistently meeting the regulatory requirements related to gas and dust emissions and water management
- Evaluation of the use of solar energy systems for various service facilities
- Installation of one of the largest in Europe up-to-date “Viessmann Vitoplex” Boiler Plant at FYM Service Centre instead of standard electrical heating. The plant was commissioned in Dec 2014 and enables waste oil from FYM and FPM (and FBM in future) machinery to be recycled and used as heating fuel. The technology uses advanced filters enabling us to reuse the waste oil with the lowest possible emissions.
- Removal and stockpiling of fertile topsoil prior to stripping operations with intention of agricultural use
- Reduction of the dust impact by continuous monitoring of process dust in the pit with water sprinkling for the purpose of dust suppression
- Protection of waste dumps and slopes with non dust-generating material excavated from the pit
- Use of energy-saving and LED lamps to reduce energy consumption
- Use of centralized conditioning systems to reduce energy consumption
- Installation of frequency converters (about 50 units) on the electric motors used for perimeter dewatering to reduce energy consumption
- Development and implementation of eco-friendly industrial park zone with modern landscaping concepts with the focus to improve workers lifestyle at the workplace.